BLANKBLANKTWITTERPINTERESTBLOGLOVINYOUTUBERSSAUDIOBOOLOGOHOMEME + MY BLOGFOR YOUTHE BESTCONTACT

Wednesday, October 12

Bedroom Beauties.... Or Not?

Our bedrooms are our special places of rest, sanctuary, and hiding away from the ravages our daily life sometimes brings us.

I found this bunch of bedrooms on Home Designing the other day, and thought some of them looked interesting and quite nice.

They all have some aspect in them I love... books, a great rug, gorgeous colour, glowing light, terrific artwork, a quote on the wall (you know how I love quotes everywhere)....







But, I also know myself well enough to look at them all and admire them from afar.

I can recognise what's good about them, I can see why lots of people would love to be in their spacious, roomy, and light filled surrounds, and at the same time, I can know that none of them are for me.

I like my bedrooms smaller, like a cocoon, and not quite so cavernous. I'm not saying I want to live in a cave, and I'm not saying I like my room to be the size of a matchbox... but I need 'cozy' in my bedroom.

I could almost survive for an extended period of time in the one with the brown wall containing books... nice lamps (although being a 'symmetrical girl' I'd need the lamps to match - but that's just me), great floor, some feel of coziness... but, the bed's too modern for me.

I've learned over time that it's quite normal and ok for me to oooh and aahhh over pictures in magazines that I can tell are beautifully designed and look terrific in almost every way (not talking about these pics here).... and yet just 'know' they wouldn't work for me.

I have to 'feel' it, I have to know I'd connect with it in MY way, not just dig it with my eyes and brain for a  room to be right.

Atmosphere is everything in my book.... and sometimes it's the hardest thing to manufacture.

Linda. xox

P.S. To see more bedrooms similar to these, pop over to Home Designing. I only picked a few!

******

5 comments:

  1. I feel exactly the same Linda. Looking at all these beautifully styled rooms and homes as part of my reno research has really confirmed that I do like the scale of my bedroom (and house generally) despite it being considered 'small' by today's standards (and the many alterations I am planning)!

    It's been interesting and informative to actually imagine myself living in those spaces. Thanks for putting it into words!

    Caz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of these do it for me - although I agree on the room with the brown walls. I love those book 'niches'!

    The other rooms are all too cold and technical for me, and too impersonal. They're not filled with much-loved bits & pieces (not saying they should be cluttered though obviously).

    What a difference compared to most of the other bedrooms featured in your blog - I still 'have a thing for' that lavender room with the books by the bed - now there's a room I could stay in all day - easily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep Caz, just because it's in a trendy magazine doesn't mean it's for us that's for sure! We like it (or not) because of who we are, not who they want us to be!

    Completely agree Sacha... they all seemed just cavernous (cold) to me. I'm a ruthless declutterer, but I still have lots of what I call 'displays of affection' around the place. I love my little bits and pieces that make everything cozy and homely. That lavender room was gorgeous wasn't it! And, smaller than all these!

    Linda. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you, I like my bedroom smaller. It's a place where I go and sleep I have to feel safe in it. It has to look like a nest. And, being a place where you go and just lay, isn't all that space wasted? If I were a millionaire it would all be different maybe, but I think I still wouldn't like to sleep in a place as large as a ballroom. Living room, that is a room i'd love to have HUGE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobbi you reminded me of when I was a child growing up - I had a huge bedroom and always felt a bit lost and deserted in it at night. I suppose central heating etc these days makes a difference, but a big room is also a lot colder.

    ReplyDelete

I'm very grateful for your participation.

Until next time may your home be full of lots of love, laughter, and life!

Linda. xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails