Wednesday, July 21
Top 5 Alternative Ways To Spend Your Birthday...
How do you feel about your next birthday? Depressed? Old? Over the hill?
If your birthday has become just a reminder of how the years are flying by, then it's time shake off the birthday blues.
Birthdays can be a wonderful time for celebration and rejoicing. They don't have to be commercialized or overdone. But they do deserve special attention.
Just ask a child, a terminally ill person, or someone who has lost a loved one too young.... each birthday is a gift.
So pick yourself up, dust off a fresh perspective, and ask yourself what you can do to make your day special.
Just in case you're short on ideas, and you're looking for something a bit different to get you in the birthday mood again - here are my Top 5 alternative ways to celebrate your birthday...
1. Do something symbolic: Pass on the gift of life by giving blood. Send flowers or a card saying thanks to the person who raised you. Donate money to your favourite charity. Have a tree planted in your name.
2. Accomplish a dream: Stop postponing what you want to do, get out and do it! White water rafting, going back to school, hot air ballooning, a trip to see the Pyramids. If there's something you've always wanted to do, just go for it (or at least set the wheels in motion!).
3. Give yourself a gift: Doing exactly what YOU want can make your birthday unforgettable. Take the day off work, have a massage, go shopping... spend some time indulging yourself.
4. Spend time reflecting on your life: Birthdays are a great time to look at where you've been and where you'd like to go. Make a list of 10 things you're grateful for, 10 things you're proud of, 10 people (or more) you're glad you've known, 10 things you‘d like to change.
Get sentimental.... pore over old photo albums, shed some tears, relive happy memories, forgive someone. Then put away the past and think about all the wonderful things your future has in store for you.
5. Ask for what you need: It's your birthday, so if you know what you want, ask for it. If you want a surprise party, a nice dinner out, some fancy lingerie, a framed movie poster, or a weekend away instead of a new toaster, ask!
Your birthday is the only day of the year dedicated to the celebration of YOU. It’s your day - a time to cherish your life and all that it has, and can bring you.
Remember, each birthday is a gift in itself. Celebrating your birthday is a way to recognise how lucky you truly are to receive that gift for another year.
What special things have you done (or have you planned to do) on your birthday?
More - Some more 'Gimme 5' posts to ponder:
5 Ways To Re-use Old Things And Make Them 'New'!
5 Questions To Ask Yourself Today...