BLANKBLANKTWITTERPINTERESTBLOGLOVINYOUTUBERSSAUDIOBOOLOGOHOMEME + MY BLOGFOR YOUTHE BESTCONTACT

Monday, January 9

How NOT To Decorate A Beautiful Room - Revisited...

I'm still on holidays at the moment, and will be for another few weeks yet. Woohoo!

The weather's been lovely, and I've found quite a few bargains at the after Christmas sales - life is good!

Whilst delving back into the depths of my previous posts recently, I found this little treasure! I've always loved this post, so decided to bring it back to the present for a new viewing. (And, it saves me time while I'm in holiday mode).

Hope you enjoy it!

How NOT To Decorate A Beautiful Room...

This is not an example of 'how not to decorate', this is to soothe you
before we get to the headache inducing pics below!!
A beautiful, soft, gorgeous, dreamy bedroom

My design philosophy is all about following your heart and going with the colours, patterns, objects, textures, scents, materials, art, furniture, and pieces that mean the most to you.

However, and this is a really BIG HOWEVER, that doesn't mean going absolutely beserk in ways with no organisation, logical reasoning, or rational thought behind them.

Nor does it mean squashing as many of the things you love as possible into one space, or making sure everywhere you turn there's an oversized representation of whatever it is you love that would be better suited as a prop in some weird movie.

Proportion, symmetry, colour theory, editing (decluttering) and the appropriate use of space are guidelines to follow in any room, all of the time.

Be warned.... if you don't allow for some modicum of sense, if you let your head go whilst following your heart.... things that aren't nice ARE going to happen......


I understand bears are cute.... I really do... but...

....ENOUGH already!

Too much..... everything! Bleh!

I know deer heads are in fashion, but I don't like 'em.
I especially don't like a whole herd of them or their cousins.

Busy wallpaper, plastic fruit on top of the cupboards,
and bear cookie jars. Headache approaching.

Cows..... what cows?

Now, I love owls. I collect them myself. And whilst I agree
with the author on Apartment Therapy that this is a
cool collection of owls (displayed facing out from an
apartment window), I think it'd be too much for an interior.

I have quite a few owls at my place, but no more than 3 in any one spot. That way they each retain their individuality and can be seen and appreciated. I find grouping them in one large collection may look great from a colour perspective, but detracts from their individual attributes (just my thoughts!).

Ask yourself: 'Am I letting my head go too much? Have I lost sight of common sense where my decorating is concerned? Am I paying attention to not only what I love, but also the principles of design that stand true no matter what?'

Which leads to: 'Is there some re-arranging, decluttering, eye-sore removing, colour harmonizing, balance restoring action I need to take anywhere?'

Because: Whilst our homes should be full of things we love and decorated in a way that means something to us personally, common sense should still prevail lest we devalue and disrespect the things we love by turning their display into a headache inducing mess.

And now, to re-adjust and harmonise everything once more....... here's another beautiful, serene, gorgeous bedroom from The House of Turquoise via House to Home.

I feel better already! :)


Cheers,

Linda.

******
Let's talk on Twitter!
Straight from me to YOU - subscribe!
New to Heartfire At Home? Start here.
And if, perchance, you BELIEVE.... join here.

******

5 comments:

  1. Oh finally!! I wasn't able to upload your blog for a few days! I could get to your page, but the images wouldn't get on, only your header.
    So nice you're on holiday...I must confess I took a day off myself today (allergies!) so I'm catching up a little.
    This post is fun. I can't really understand how can people be in so much lack of sense of style. Okay, maybe not everyone can be a a perfect interior decorator, but having a ugly home...how can you? Most of all, how can you feel good in it? I'm not saying my house is a beautiful place, but I'm working on it, and it shows.
    I really envy you right now, and you know why...it's because you are Australian, and that means that you are in summertime!
    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bobbi!!

    That's a bit bizarre about my blog... all has looked good from this end, I check it several times a day. Weird.

    Yes, I am on holidays in the Summer - yay! I look forward to these hols so much. Sorry you've had allergies. I had a dose of hayfever myself a day or two ago, at least I think that's what it was. I've never had it before, but it was very windy and lots of pollen etc flying around, and I had all the symptoms!

    I know your house would be absolutely lovely with a beautiful vibe to it. Plus, you have a tribe of very happy and content cats... perfect!

    Linda. xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are cracking me up right now! I loved this post, Linda, you are so spot-on!! These images are too funny...all those Care Bears?! What in the world?!?

    Thanks for linking up to my blog too, much appreciated!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your 'how not to' and 'nope, not for me' series! These pictures make me snigger every time. Most of these rooms could be easily fixed (take away all the antlered things in that one room and voilĂ , serene looking living room), but how these people can not see they've gone over the top is just beyond me...

    I do really like the owl display, even though it's mad and crazy and would never have anything like that myself. It reminds me of a house not too far away from my parents of which the street-facing window is completely, utterly, totally taken over by Chinese figurines in every shape and size. Mental note to self: take picture some time. Completely over the top and hideous yet at the same time very cool - in a weird way! ;-D

    Oh and I agree totally with the comments on Bobbi's place - the tantalizing glimpses she has shown us prove it is a lovely, happy home - even if she has to seek refuge in the toilet for a quiet spot to read! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so funny. I couldn't help but laugh even while thinking that these homes belong to real people who must love having so many of these objects around. But I guess the bottom line is that this just isn't good design and the point of your post is to urge us to exercise some restraint in displaying our treasured objects. It's a message I'm taking to heart since I know I am a collector at heart and could easily let things get out of control. Often, people will tell me there is so much to look at in my home. Part of me is flattered and the other is wondering whether that's a good thing to have so much to look at. I find writing a blog has helped me tremendously since I spend so much time looking at photos of beautiful homes and really analyzing how I want my home to look and feel.

    ReplyDelete

I'm very grateful for your participation.

Until next time may your home be full of lots of love, laughter, and life!

Linda. xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails